June 09, 2014

Courthouse Wedding

So today...June 9th 2014 we got married at the courthouse.
Let me explain:
So does that mean we are married now or not?

I get this question every time I tell my American friends about the courthouse wedding. Let me explain.  First of all in Germany you don't pick up your marriage license and have your Pastor sign it in the church on your wedding day. In Germany you have a separate ceremony..... that's how the law has you do it. After you have your courthouse wedding they don't care what you do. Some leave it at that others have a church wedding. What is important to them is for you have to have a courthouse wedding.

In many Christian circles they will have the courthouse wedding the weekend or the Friday before the church wedding. You celebrate that day with your closest relatives....something like the rehearsal dinner.

So why are we doing it in the US?  
One, it is cheaper and easier for Patrick and I as US citizens to do it here in the US. Two, this way we can get his visa and work permit applied for before he comes back to Germany. This is also the reason we are doing it almost 2 months before the wedding. Another reason we are doing it this early is my dad wanted to be here for it and we scheduled it during his time off the boat (where he works).

So which one is the real wedding? What is the difference?
For the courthouse wedding we might be a little dressed up and celebrate it with the melting pot. ☺ I will also be changing all my documents and signing my name with my new last name but Patrick's and my life won't change much until August 16th.
I still will only be wearing my engagement ring... after the ceremony, we still will call each other "fiance" and we won't be living together.
For us, before God and our friends August 16th is the real deal. That is when you will see us become husband and wife.

Just being silly...."look at me!"


Story of the special day to come soon!


1 comment:

  1. Its simply beautiful no matter how you look at it!
    Iris this is a beginning of a wonderful life together for the two of you. Thanks so much for sharing this experience and explaining it.
    I am still a bit confused but really its so wonderful and the fact I do not understand well that's just me. LOL So its wonderful and I cant wait until the next chapter in your lives.

    Thanks so much again. I love you and have a long loving life together. If ever times are tough just trust in the Lord. It will work out fine.
    Love you both,
    Uncle Vince

    ReplyDelete